Physical inactivity and sedentary behaviours are emerging as two different health risks. As such, employers need to look at workplace walking as both:
- Purposeful periods of time spent being active at moderate or vigorous intensity, as short as 10 minutes in duration
- Incidental movements employees take throughout the workday, including steps taken to break up time spent stationary
Not only will employees benefit on an individual basis, but organizations will also reap rewards.
Note: Physical activity can also be realized when employees use active transportation to get to and from work and to go between meetings during the work day. The Project Health website also has information about Active Transportation.
Project Health Handbook
The Project Health Handbook provides the employer with topic-specific background information to help make a business case for workplace wellness planning and programming, including suggested workplace wellness goals and topic specific comprehensive workplace health promotion strategies. Click to access the Physical Activity section of the Handbook for Healthy Workplaces in Waterloo Region.
Project Health offers a variety of services to workplaces on specific health-related topics (see the Project Health Topics section of the website for specific topic areas):
Project Health offers a variety of resources on each of our health promotion topics (see the Project Health Topics section of the website for specific topic areas):
- Teaching Kits/Pedometers
- Downloadable Pamphlets
- On-line Learning
- Pamphlets – To view the most current listing of available pamphlets, or to order pamphlets, use the Resource Centre Online ordering form. For large order requests, please click here.
- Posters - Resource Centre
Move More... Sit Less Workplace Challenge
- Coordinator’s Guide complete with sample emails, voicemails, text messages (pdf)
- Participant’s Guide complete with tips for moving more and sitting less (pdf)
- Optional, customizable cover for the participant’s guide (MS Word)
- Customizable points chart (MS Word)
- Business Case on why employees need to move more and sit less (PDF)
- Customizable pre- and post-challenge assessment tools and challenge feedback form (MS Word)
- Customizable 8.5”x11” poster (MS Word)
- Electronic tracking tools complete with mathematical formulas (MS Excel)